Monday, March 4, 2013

Dry Hopped Red Ale For St. Patrick's Day

So, even though I have now lived in Salt Lake City, UT for almost three years now, I have never spent a St. Patrick's Day in the state.  No, it's not because of the alcohol laws, I have just had to be elsewhere the past two years, Costa Rica my first year and Vermont last year.  Anyway, a post on Reddit got me thinking last month, how can I make this St. Patrick's as memorable as all the others?  Why, brew beer of course!  So, I have had a recipe for a hoppy red ale for a while now, and figured now is the time.  As this is the first recipe I piecemealed together on my own I thought I'd share:

Dry-hopped Red Ale (Extract Brew):

6lbs Light LME
1lb Cara Red Malt, crushed
1/2 lb - Crystal 60L malt, crushed
2oz Black Roasted Barley malt, crushed
1oz German Perle Hops (60 mins)
1oz Crystal Hops (15 mins)
1oz Zythos Hops (5 mins)
1oz Zythos Hops (dry hop)
California Ale Yeast (White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001)


Today, I just bottled the beer so it should be bottle conditioned and ready to go for the big day.  Though I still need to come up with a name, but I have a bit of time.  Suggestions are always welcome.

 
My set up

Wort with 3 of 4 hop additions

 Cooling the wort in true Utah style
 
 Bottled, now just time to wait....

On a side note, I have also gotten into m own craft projects, all of which are of course beer related.  Anyway, I recently learned how to make my own tumblers and coaster out of old beer bottles, so I thought I'd share my most recent work.  Utah doesn't have the greatest recycling program, so I decided to take matters into my own hands, and create beer accessories out of some of my favorites.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment